Mutaflor Probiotic (100 capsules)
Mutaflor® is a probiotic that comprises as its active substance a viable non-pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli (E.coli). First isolated in 1917 by Professor Alfred Nissle from the faeces of a soldier during the First World War who as he remarked, “in contrast to the large majority of his comrades, had suffered neither from dysentery nor from any other intestinal diseases”. Thereafter, appropriately named Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917.
Characteristics of Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917:
- the ability to colonize
- antagonistic activity – Inhibition of growth and or killing of pathogens
- anti-invasive – prevention of colonisation in the gut by pathogens
- synthesis of endogenous antimicrobial peptides-defensins
- mucosal integrity – contributing to luminal metabolism and stability of intestinal milieu-enhanced epithelial barrier function
- anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects
- stimulation of colonic mucosa.
Mutaflor® should be stored in the refrigerator at (2-8°C).